Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DIY Canisters and Storage

Now, I don't recollect if I've mentioned how small my kitchen is, but.... yeah. Not a whole lot going on in terms of storage space. I also have been lusting after some canisters lately, because I've been doing it straight out of the bag with my flour and sugar and whatnot, and that just feels so ghetto. It makes it much harder for me to do my whole "fake cooking show" routine for the babies. I thought long and hard about the answer to all my problems, and this is what I've come up with:


Supplies Needed:
  • Empty jars - mine were spaghetti sauce and pickle jars.
  • Empty baby wipe boxes
  • Spray paint in 1 or 2 colors, up to you
  • Sharpie Paint Pen - The guy at Michael's said it'd last through the dishwasher, but I haven't tested it yet)
  • 3 3/4" screws per box
I first spray painted the inside of the boxes and the lids black, and allowed them to dry. Then I flipped the boxes over, and did the outsides in silver. My paint lines along the lip didn't come out totally smooth, so if you're a perfectionist I'd recommend using tape. While waiting for everything to finish drying, I labelled all of the jars. You could always get graphite paper to do your lettering if you'd like to use a specific font or something, but I'm cheap, and my handwriting looks fine to me. Michael hung the boxes, using three 3/4" screws along the top of each box, about half an inch down. He also left enough room in the middle for me to add more boxes and jars in the future.

I plan to go back later and write something on the boxes with the paint pens (I have black and white), but I haven't decided what yet. Let me know if you have any suggestions!  

<3,
Erika

2 comments:

  1. Spices, Grains, flours?!?! Just putting it out there :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could do that, I was thinking more along the lines of "Live Laugh Love," only different. Haha.

      Delete